Mount Sinai and Red Sea 3 Day Experience
Our 3 day experience begins in Eilat, as we head to Egypt through the Taba Border Crossing. We will cross the border and meet a local driver who will bring us to our accommodation at Aqua Sun, a serene beach-side lodging ringed by desert mountains.
At Aqua Sun, we will check into our Hushas (traditional bamboo huts) and have free time to relax. Stroll along 2 kilometers of private beach or bathe in the crystal clear waters of the Red Sea. Take in the beautiful views including Saudi Arabia which can be seen from across the waters.
We will have an open buffet dinner, before we prepare for our overnight hike up Mount Sinai, where Moses received the 10 Commandments. Departing towards the monastery at 23:00, we will have a couple of hours drive before we begin the 2.5 hour trail up the mountain under the open sky and glistening stars. With plenty of comfortable resting places along the way, we will arrive at the top of the mount in time to view a spectacular sunrise over the desert terrain before beginning our descent down to the St. Catherine Monastery for breakfast in the garden.
St. Catherine Monastery is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that lies on the Sinai Peninsula at the foot of Mount Sinai. It is home to the famous Burning Bush, the Well of Moses, and biblical mosaics of the Old Testament.
After concluding our time at the monastery, we will return to Aqua Sun for more beach relaxation and rest. Spend the day resting on the beach, snorkel over the incredible coral reef, or hang out in the common areas with locals and friends. Taste local flavors at an open buffet dinner with plenty of options to choose from!
On the third day, take a morning dip or head straight to the breakfast buffet. You can choose between an optional Desert Off-Road Adventure or another relaxing day at the beach, if you just can’t get enough! The Off-Road Adventure will take you to the Ain Khudra Oasis hidden within the infinite sand dunes of the Sinai Desert.
We will depart back to the Israeli border in the afternoon and begin crossing back to Israel. You can easily use public transportation to get back to the heart of Eilat, or contact us to arrange a transfer back to your destination in Eilat.
- Unwind on the serene Sinai beaches
- Hike up Mount Sinai for an incredible sunrise and spectacular view
- Tour the St. Catherine Monastery
- Snorkel over the colorful and lively coral reef
- Optional - Desert Jeep Adventure over incredible sand dunes
- Day 1
11:00 – Depart from Eilat
11:15 – Arrive at Taba border, cross the border into Egypt
12:30 – Meet your driver at the Egyptian side, and drive to Aqua Sun beach
13:00 – Arrive at Aqua Sun and check in to the rooms, free time to enjoy the beach and relax
19:00 – Open buffet dinner
23:00 – Leaving to St. Catherine.
- Day 2
01:00 – Arrive at St. Catherine village and start climbing up Mt.Sinai (2.5~ hours)
05:00 – Watch the most beautiful sunrise ever, and start hiking down
08:00 – Breakfast
09:00 – Visit St. Catherine Monastery
09:30 – Head back to Aqua Sun
11:30 – Arrive at Aqua Sun, free time to enjoy the beach, relax, or nap
19:00 – Open buffet dinner
(Overnight at Aqua Sun, Sinai)
- Day 3
08:00 – Breakfast
10:00 – Optional: Off-Road Desert Jeep Adventure (Approx. 5 hours, including lunch) – 180 ILS per person
11:00 – Check out of your rooms
15:00 – Depart back to the Israeli border
17:00 – Tour concludes at Taba Border Crossing – take public transportation or contact us to arrange a transfer (more details below).
Good to Know
- Bring cash for lunches, souvenirs, and refreshments.
- Seafront lodging in traditional bamboo Husha huts gives the ultimate zen experience. Aqua Sun comes equipped with full, shared facilities and an Egyptian style common area, overlooking the Red Sea. If you are traveling by yourself, you will most likely need to share a hut with one or two people of the same gender.
- Pick up point: Shfifon St 3, Eilat.
- Modest clothing: shawl or covering required for entering St. Catherine’s Monastery.
- Muslim Holidays: During Islamic Holy Days (especially Ramadan), some sites may be closed or visiting times shortened.
- Note: Religious meal requirements (such as Kosher or Halal) unfortunately cannot be accommodated on this tour.
- Return from Taba border crossing is possible via public transport: Catch the Bus #16 from just outside of the border terminal to get back to the heart of Eilat (runs every 20-30 minutes, 4.2 ILS). Alternatively you can contact us via Whatsapp [972-54210100] to arrange transportation back to your destination in Eilat for an extra 60 ILS per taxi.
- 2 nights accommodation at a hut in Aqua Sun beach
- Entrance fees to St. Catherine
- Guide for St. Catherine & Mount Sinai
- Dinners and breakfasts
- Border fees – $60 USD (107 ILS exit fee from Israel + 400 EGP visa to Sinai)
- Water and drinks
- Travel insurance
- Room upgrade – Air-conditioned room with private bathroom
- Optional – Off-Road Desert Jeep Adventure – 180 ILS per person
- Optional arranged transport from Taba Border to the desired destination in Eilat - 60 ILS per taxi
Do I need to arrange a visa in advance?
Egypt permits most Western countries to receive a travel visa at the border crossing. However, residents of some countries need to apply for a visa in advance. For re-entry into Israel, please ensure you are eligible for a Visa on Arrival, or have already arranged a multiple entry visa for Israel in advance. Check with your local embassy, or online.
How much are the border fees and what currency do I need?
The border Exit fees on the Israeli side are 107 ILS, and can be paid in ILS, Euro, USD & credit card.
The visa to Sinai is 400 EGP and can be paid only in cash in EGP. You can exchange money at the border crossing (we recommend to exchange at the Egyptian side), or at a money exchange before the departure of your tour.
What should I pack
Hiking shoes (in summer we recommend hiking sandals as it is very hot)
Clothing: warm clothing for the top of Mt Sinai, and a shawl or modest covering for the monastery
Hat and sunscreen
Optional – your own snorkel/goggles (recommended)
How do we cross back into Israel
We will take a transfer back to the Taba Border Crossing in the afternoon on the final day of the tour, where we will cross back into Israel.
For this, it is important to note the following
* Be patient – during busy periods the crossing might be crowded and slow.
* You might be asked questions about what you have done in Egypt, what your plans are in Israel, etc.
How difficult is the hike up to Mount Sinai?
Most of the hike is on a wide snake path up the mountain and is not very difficult, however, the final part of the hike includes 750 steps. This hike is not recommended for those with difficulty walking.