Leaving twice a week, our Masada Sunrise tour leaves nice and early to allow you to experience the famous sunrise views from the Masada fortress, before visiting the beautiful Ein Gedi Nature reserve, and the cooling waters of the Dead Sea
- Climb Masada as the sun rises
- Witness the magnificent view as the sun rises over the crisp Dead Sea waters, and mountains in the distance. One of the world's greatest sunrises.
- Hike in the beautiful Ein Gedi Nature Reserve
- Float in the Dead Sea and immerse yourself in the therapeutic mud
- 02:00 - 03:00 (changes seasonally) - Pick up at Tel Aviv - Abraham Hostel
- 02:15 - 03:15 (changes seasonally) - Pick up from Tel Aviv - Opera Tower (1 Allenby Street)
- 05:00 - Arrival at Masada, hike up to top via the western entrance
- 08:00 - Ein Gedi Nature Reserve
- 10:15 - Dead Sea Beach
- 13:00 - 14:30 - Arrive back in Tel Aviv - Returns to Abraham Hostel (no dropoff at the Opera Tower)
- NB: All times are approximate, and due to seasonal variations in the sunrise time, the start time of this tour varies throughout the year.
- See your booking screen for pickup time on chosen date.
- Things to know
- -This is a self-guided tour, meaning that it includes full transportation and printed guiding materials, but no actual guide.
- -We recommend to bring a packed breakfast with you or to have breakfast before the tour as there is nothing available to purchase at Masada.
- -In the unlikely event of there being flooding at Ein Gedi, we will instead go to Qumran or a similar location
On this tour you will see the fortress of Masada, Ein Gedi nature reserve, and the Dead Sea, departing in the early morning hours so that you arrive at Masada in time to see the sunrise gleam over the desert and Jordanian Mountains.
Leaving from Tel Aviv, we’ll drive east past Jerusalem and through the dark desert, all the way to the foot of Masada. As you begin to climb up the Snake Path, a moderate 45-minute hike, the sun will emerge in the east over the mountains, providing a breathtaking view. You’ll reach the top just in time to relax in front of the stunning desert landscape below, and the red sun shimmering off the still waters of the Dead Sea.
Once you’ve had your fill of the wonderful views, you’ll spend some time exploring the archaeological ruins of a castle built in the year 30 BCE by King Herod, and also the place where Jewish rebels famously decided to take their own lives rather than to fall into the hands of the advancing Roman armies. After you descend down the same path, you will find the bus waiting for you, ready to continue the day’s adventures.
We will drive to Ein Gedi, a desert oasis where you can hike at your leisure, and are likely to encounter mountain goats and other creatures among the vegetation. The nature reserve includes a stream of cool running water, leading to various pools and refreshing springs, where you are welcome to bathe on hot days. The last part of the tour is spent at the lowest point on earth, the Dead Sea. Enjoy the salty waters and rejuvenating therapeutic mud, floating and relaxing for an hour and a half before we return to Tel Aviv.
Our must-see Masada Sunrise tour combines some of Israel’s most beautiful and unique places, which can be difficult to get to independently. For many travelers, this experience becomes the highlight of their trip in Israel.
Download our free Abraham Tours app to get more information on the sites we’ll be visiting.
CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATES:
Exchange rate information is provided by a third party for indicative purposes only.
*Subject to booking a room at Abraham Hostel and using guest promo code
Is your requested date unavailable? Check out our tour departing from Jerusalem!