Masada Sunrise, Ein Gedi & Dead Sea Tour from Jerusalem
On this tour you will see the fortress of Masada, Ein Gedi nature reserve, and the Dead Sea, departing in the early morning hours so that you arrive at Masada in time to see the sunrise gleam over the desert and Jordanian Mountains.
Leaving Jerusalem, we’ll drive east through the Judean Desert, all the way to the foot of Masada. As you begin to climb up the Snake Path, a moderate 45-minute hike, the sun will emerge in the east over the mountains, providing a breathtaking view. You’ll reach the top just in time to relax in front of the stunning desert landscape below, and the red sun shimmering off the still waters of the Dead Sea.
Once you’ve had your fill of the wonderful views, you’ll spend some time exploring the archaeological ruins of a castle built in the year 30 BCE by King Herod, and also the place where Jewish rebels famously decided to take their own lives rather than to fall into the hands of the advancing Roman armies. After you descend the same path, you will find the bus waiting for you, ready to continue the day’s adventures.
We will drive to Ein Gedi, a desert oasis where you can take a short hike, where you’ll likely encounter mountain goats and other creatures among the vegetation. The nature reserve includes a stream of cool running water, leading to various pools and refreshing springs, where you are welcome to bathe on hot days.
The last part of the tour is spent at the lowest point on earth, the Dead Sea. Enjoy the salty waters and rejuvenating therapeutic mud, floating and relaxing, before we return to Jerusalem.
Our must-see Masada Sunrise tour combines some of Israel’s most beautiful and unique places, which can be difficult to get to independently. For many travelers, this experience becomes the highlight of their trip in Israel.
For more information on the sites we’ll be passing, download our free travel app to your smartphone.
- Climb Masada as the sun rises
- Witness the magnificent view as the sun rises over the Dead Sea, and Jordanian mountains in the distance.
- Hike in the beautiful Ein Gedi Nature Reserve
- Float in the Dead Sea and immerse yourself in the therapeutic mud
- Day Tour
03:00 – 04:00 (changes seasonally) – Pick up at Abraham Hostel Jerusalem-Davidka Square
03:05 – 04:05 (changes seasonally) – (Upon Request Only) – Pickup from Carta Parking Lot (Jaffa Gate)
05:30 – Arrival at Masada, hike up to top
08:30 – Ein Gedi Nature Reserve
11:00 – Dead Sea Beach
12:30 – 13:30 (changes seasonally) – Arrive back in Jerusalem.
NB: All times are approximate, and due to seasonal variations in the sunrise time, the start time of this tour varies throughout the year.
See your booking screen for pickup time on chosen date.
Good to Know
- This is a self-guided tour, meaning that it includes full transportation and printed guiding materials, but no actual guide.
- Self-guiding materials are available for FREE - Abraham Tours App (Available on Google Play and App store).
- We recommend to bring a packed breakfast with you or to have breakfast before the tour as there is nothing available to purchase at Masada.
- In the unlikely event of there being flooding at Ein Gedi, we will instead go to Qumran or a similar location
- Start times will vary seasonally
- Pick up Points: Carta Parking Lot (near Jaffa Gate, NO drop off), Jerusalem Abraham Hostel Lobby - Davidka Square
- Things to bring: Breakfast, Passport, Hat and sunscreen, Bathing suit, Walking shoes, Water and snacks
INCLUDED IN YOUR STAY
- Transportation to all sites from Jerusalem
- Entrance to the beach at the Dead Sea
- Breakfast, Lunch and drinks
- Masada entrance (31 NIS)
- Ein Gedi entrance (28 NIS)
- This is a self-guided tour, meaning that it includes full transportation, but no actual guide.
- Self-guiding materials are available for FREE – Abraham Tours App (Available on Google Play and App store).
Is it possible to take the cable car at Masada on this tour?
It is not. On this tour you will need to climb up Masada and then back down.
Can I return to Tel Aviv instead of Jerusalem?
Sometimes this is possible, but for operational reasons cannot be guaranteed in advance. Please ask your driver on the day of the tour, and if possible – we will gladly accommodate this request.