No visit to Jerusalem would be complete without a Mahane Yehuda Market Tour - a trip to Jerusalem’s prominent marketplace. This tour takes you to the centre of this Jerusalem landmark, and introduces you to the sights, the smells, and - most importantly - the tastes of this vibrant market.
- Taste your way through Jerusalem’s prominent market scene
- Explore the bustling Jerusalem Mahane Yehuda Market
- Learn about the fascinating history of the market
- Visit Nachlaot, the near-by picturesque neighbourhood
- Bring your appetite and taste a wide selection of the market’s offerings
- 11:00 - Meet at Abraham Hostel before walking to the nearby Mahane Yehuda Market
- 11:05 - Explore the market
- 14:00 - Return to Abraham Hostel (approx.)
Mahane Yehuda has long been the beating heart of the Jerusalem market scene. In what is essentially a very small geographic area, Mahane Yehuda, or, the “shuk”, is home to fruit and vegetable vendors, thriving specialty stores, clothing stands, bustling bars and restaurants, and spices and smells galore. In fact, Mahane Yehuda is much more than just a market – it is simultaneously one of the most traditional and one of the most modern and innovative places in Jerusalem.
On this tour, we will explore the fascinating history of this market, as we uncover its rise from rundown and neglected backwater to its current status as one of the hippest and trendiest places in Israel. We will explore the personal stories of the market, learn about the ingenuity that made the market grow from slum to hotspot, and, most importantly, taste our way through the central culinary area that is Mahane Yehuda.
This tour takes you through Mahane Yehuda on a walking and tasting tour that will probably leave you full enough that you won’t want to eat again for another week. If you do, however, ask the guide for recommendations, as you will be in Jerusalem’s favourite marketplace and foodie haven.
CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATES:
Exchange rate information is provided by a third party for indicative purposes only.