Come see why the combination of rich history and natural wonders makes Israel an ideal hiking destination. Join a hiking expert in the fertile valley of the Sea of Galilee, hike up to an ancient cave-fortress, and visit the newly discovered archaeological site- Magdala!
- Gorgeous views of the Sea of Galilee and Golan Heights mountain range
- Learn about the geography, history, flora, and fauna of this specific region from a local expert
- Climb the southern, more gentle side of Mount Arbel and reach the summit
- Have lunch at the iconic site of the lone carob tree above Lake Kinneret
- Pass through the ancient cave-fortress that was carved inside the cliff in the first century BCE
- Finish at Magdala- the believed birthplace of Mary Magdalene and ancient synagogue where Jesus taught
- 08:20 – Pickup from Mary’s Well, Nazareth
- 09:10 – Pickup from Tiberias Caesar Premier Hotel
- 09:30 – 7.5 km hike of Mount Arbel
- 12:00 – Arbel Summit – Lunch break overlooking the Sea of Galilee
- 14:00 – Conclusion of the hike and 10 minute transfer to Magdala Archaeological Park
- 15:45 – Arrive back to Mary’s Well, Nazareth
- NB: All times are approximate and highly dependent on traffic conditions
- Minimum Age
- 13 years (Minors must be accompanied by an adult)
- Moderate (several steep and exposed sections have metal handles and ladders)
Departing from Nazareth and heading to the lower galilee near Tiberias, awaits an unforgettable hiking experience up Mount Arbel. Relax into the care of our hiking expert guide, as you are led through some of the most stunning, iconic, and ancient places that remain in the Holy Lands, all the while surrounded by the dramatic backdrop of the Sea of Galilee mountain ridge.
Start with a gradual ascent up the southern, more gentle side of Mount Arbel that passes through pastoral lands. Your first stop will be a memorial point that overlooks the Sea of Galilee, or Lake Kinneret, the freshwater lake through which the Jordan River flows, famed for its biblical associations. After a bit more hiking, you will arrive at the back entrance to Arbel National Park and pay the entrance fee if needed (though usually not requested).
Your next stop will be the lonely carob tree at the mountain summit. Here at Carob Lookout, we will take a proper break for lunch at this beautiful site which overlooks the Sea of Galilee. This is your opportunity to photograph perhaps the most iconic place in the region!
On the descent, you will cross through parts of the famous Israel National Trail, oversee winding trails that lead to Bedouin villages, and on clear days even see the tallest mountain in Israel- Mount Hermon. You will arrive to the famous cave-fortress that was carved inside the cliff by ancient Galilean Jews. Explore the fortress that was once a safe haven for Jewish rebels, containing ruins that date back to 37 BCE, and some even older. We will continue the descent until we reach the Arbel Wadi (wadi = valley). From here we will drive ten minutes to finish at Magdala- the recent discovery site of a complete first century city, the believed birthplace of Mary Magdalene, and the location of a synagogue where Jesus taught.
This hike offers endless unique and unforgettable moments, all in the care and knowledge of an Israeli hiking expert. Come walk on these richly historical and ancient grounds, and leave in awe of their preserved beauty!
CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATES:
Exchange rate information is provided by a third party for indicative purposes only.